Assemble gives you the ability to export the view to a Microsoft Excel file so you can share the model data with a colleague who does not have Assemble installed. You can also use this feature when you want to use Microsoft Excel to analyze the model data.
You can choose to export the data to include instances or to exclude instances. By including instances, you will see a row for each instance of the model element in your Excel file. By excluding instances, you will see your grouping order tiered from the highest tier of your grouping order down to the Type level.
Note: Excluding instances will reduce the size of the exported file.
To export to Microsoft Excel including instances
- In the Export / Import area, click Export to Microsoft Excel.
- Assemble generates a default file name using the Project Name - Model Name - Version - View - DateTime. Change the file name if desired.
- Check the Include instances check box to export the instances.
- Click Export.
To export to Microsoft Excel excluding instances
- In the Export / Import to area, click Export to Microsoft Excel.
- Assemble generates a default file name named using the Project Name - Model Name - Version - View - DateTime. Change the file name if desired.
- Un-check the Include instances check box to exclude the instances.
- Click Export.
Notes regarding the exported Excel file
- Pick-list options (enumerations) for properties that have pick-list values in Assemble will be available in Excel. Look-up values, such as Assembly Codes, will not be look-up values in the Excel file.
- The Excel worksheet will not be Protected by default. However, by protecting the sheet, cells that can be imported into Assemble will be unlocked, whereas all other cells will be locked.
- Quantity column values will be rounded to 2 decimal places (hundredths).
- Quantity column values will have bold text.
- Rows 1 through 4 will be "frozen" so headers do not scroll.
- Borders are set to All, Black, and Thin.
- "Description" column width is set to 75 with wrapped text.
- Page size is set to 11 X 17 with Narrow page margins.
- Page orientation is set to Landscape.
- Print page order is set to over, and then down.